Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Life Cycle

Ahhhhhh!!!! Screams and squeals could probably be heard across the hall during our life cycle introduction lesson! I left a box covered up with a note that said, "New Classroom Friends" out during our morning routine. Everyone made guesses as to what might be in the box. The reveal came during our science lesson after snack. I revealed the name of the "friend" but nothing else.Then I had the students complete a KWL chart (what I know, what I want to know, what I learned) about a mealworm. No one knew what a mealworm was.
 
I then revealed to them what a mealworm looks like! Each student was given a mealworm to observe on his/her desk....begin the squeals and screams!!! Some mealworms were busier than others. I could tell some of the mealworms were beginning to enter the pupa stage (we will learn about the stages tomorrow).  The students seemed to enjoy exploring their new friend! After the observations, the students had to record on our chart what he/she thinks the mealworm will turn into; eleven guessed a moth and one guessed a butterfly. All were surprised to find out it's actually a BEETLE! It's going to be fun watching our mealworms metamorphosis! 

2 comments:

  1. Lots of excitement from my first grader when she told us about the mealworms!

    ReplyDelete